Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Backtracking

The countdown continues. My heart is filled with excitement and anticipation, and just seeing this come to fruition is amazing! I have learned so much on this journey to preparing for Grenada. I would do things differently the next time because an international trip is so much more expensive than staying here in the Midwest. The planning is different, the fundraising is different. But I have no regrets and am very proud and humbled at the same time to be able to bring this to St. Gregory's. 

As most of you probably know by now, I will be returning to teaching at St. Gregory's School in the fall. We are in the middle of interviewing some very qualified and amazing candidates to replace me. This means that any decisions about future youth mission trips won't be up to me. But I am hopeful that the plan will continue as I had envisioned, with youth going on yearly summer mission trips, and every so many years (maybe every 3-4), that mission trip will hopefully be replaced with an international trip. My job has been unique in the fact that I am both youth and stewardship, and I am excited that this Grenada trip has been able to meet a need for our youth, young adults and adults. I will continue as the stewardship director, and hope to work with our new youth director to plan for future trips.

Mission trips offer a unique opportunity to become immersed in your faith. I went on a mission trip to Minneapolis a few years ago, and I found myself drawn to prayer, drawn to participating in the life of the Church. It wasn't forced, but instead felt natural and comfortable, especially after spending the day in service of others. 

The group I was with happened to get moved to a soup kitchen unexpectedly. We were on site but not scheduled to serve, but they were short of help. I remember one gal crying all the way through the line. I remember a dad who made sure to get all of his family something to eat, but nothing for himself. We had to almost force him to eat, as he kept saying to save the food for the children. Children were scarfing down food like they hadn't eaten for days, and it breaks my heart to know that was probably true. People were kind. Really kind. They thanked us. Sometimes they hung their heads, maybe in shame, while others looked warmly into our eyes, connecting with us and sharing our humanity.

Some ignored us, trying to go unnoticed or blend in the wall. And inevitably, I'm sure some took us for granted and expected handouts.

I would go back again and again, day after day, if my life would allow me. I would share the joys and sorrows, I would humbly accept the grateful gestures. 

I could set aside my own worries, my own selfishness and brokenness.

Life has not taken me where I planned to go, both geographically and otherwise. I'm a planner and always need to know the steps in front of me. I have spent hours begging God for answers, pleading for a better understanding of what my purpose really is in life. 

Catholic Heart Workcamp shared this prayer with us before leaving for our mission trip. It seems quite fitting for our mission trippers, but really to everyone as we journey through life.

LEAVE OUTCOME UP TO ME
Follow Me wherever I lead, without worrying about how it will all turn out. Think of your life as an adventure, with Me as your Guide and Companion. Live in the now, concentrating on staying in step with Me. When our path leads to a cliff, be willing to climb it with My help. When we come to a resting place, take time to be refreshed in my Presence. Enjoy the rhythm of life lived close to Me. You already know the ultimate destination of your journey: your entrance into Heaven. So keep your focus on the path just before you, leaving outcomes up to Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment