Monday, June 15, 2015

Guest Blogger Candace


Hey followers! This is Candace Boeh speaking. We officially had our first day of getting our hands dirty. Many of us painted churches, preschools, and elderly homes. I was with Leah, Mollie, and Josie at an Old School Church in Gouyave. First walking up on the site, I was thinking "ok?? How are we going to do this?" I had never seen anything quite like this. Broken windows, rusted shutters, trash among trash, and walls that were taller than Manute Bol (the tallest NBA player :)).

The first thirty minutes were the most challenging. Learning on the job is a process. I was so proud of the girls in our youth today! They jumped right in and worked so easily with members from other parishes. I learned so much today about myself from not only working with the other adults BUT the youth too. It was amazing to see God's given talents and strengths working together. We worked our tails off. We spilled paint, we got soaked in the rain, we made mistakes, but most importantly we worked with all different children of God from all different walks of life on an overwhelming task at hand. We were able to paint the whole inside of the church aqua and all the shudders red. We cannot wait to see the church renovated and recreated! We still have the floor and exterior to paint but know with our persistence and trust we can accomplish this by FRIDAY as one big team.

The best part of my day (and most challenging) was the one hour bus ride (very hilly; quick turns--makes for one nauseous girl). I had the opportunity to sit with a Deacon from Georgia. He has been on 5 mission trips and was sharing story after story with me. It gave me energy and enthusiasm for continuation of the trip but also got me thinking about how I can share this experience with my friends, family, and community back at home!

I am not going to lie, coming into this week, I was really only thinking about the "work" to help others. I was not thinking about the sacrifices I have had to make while on the trip. Things that are minimal compared to what Jesus Christ did for us. I take for granted the warm water for my shower, the morning coffee before school, the water bottle I take out of the fridge, and having a snack when I am hungry. I have so very appreciation for the MANY MANY gifts I have on a daily basis. I pray that I continue to have a sense of gratitude for the many blessings I have when I go back to my life at home.

Your continued prayers are appreciated!! We are excited to see what the journey brings in the week ahead!!! :)

My motto for the week: "The miracle is this; the more we share the more we have!"

With love and blessings,
Candace Boeh

No comments:

Post a Comment