Sunday, June 14, 2015

Free Day and Orientation

Greetings from Grenada! 1st off, I want to remind you to follow us on Facebook at StGregorys YouthGroup and on Twitter @stgregorysyouth. We are using hashtags #CHWCgrenada2015 and #SGgrenada. I can only post when we have WiFi, which is only when we are actually back here at the university.

Today was a planned free day to give us a chance to meet the locals and get acclimated, plus see this beautiful country. I love justb listening to them. They have what I would liken to a Jamaican accent, so some sort of Eastern Caribbean dialect.

We started with a 15 minute drive along the jagged coastline to get to.Mass at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. The landscape is very hilly and those little Nissan buses felt like we were on a rollercoaster. They can make a hairpin turn, which they did quite often as we gasped and held on for dear life! They honk at each other when we meet on the road, and we were trying to determine what the honks mean:
A. BEEP I see you and I'm not going to hit you even though it looks like I might.
B. BEEP I see you and I will hit you if you don't move.
We found out we were wrong. 1 beep means hello, and 2 beeps means they know each other. Apparently the passengers were the only ones concerned about hitting each other! My bus swung to the left slightly and then literally turned a sharp 45 degrees to go down a narrow alley. Oh, and I forgot that they drive as fast as the conditions will allow, so we made that turn with barely even slowing down. Needless to say, I had done quite a bit of praying before ever arriving at the Cathedral!

I have lots more to tell you about the beautiful Mass with island music, and the amazing sermon by the camp chaplain, a priest from Kentucky. No pressure Fr. Martin, but he rapped to the cheers of 150 campers, as well as the local parishioners.

I will leave some details on the Mass for later, as well as the BBQ and party at the beach, hosted by the local Catholic youth. Starting tomorrow, we will have guest bloggers so our campers can tell you firsthand what they are experiencing. And a also because the laptop isn't charging very quickly and it is taking forever to type this on my phone...and because we have a full day of work projects tomorrow and I'm exhausted! But my heart is happy and full.

Favorite quote of the day from Fr. Norman on growing closer to God and changing our hearts.
Stop hanging out with people who drink Hatorade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment