Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Day that Seemed to Last Forever

I won't be able to publish this until we land and have WiFi, but I'm writing it right now somewhere over the Caribbean. We have had an exhausting day, but are all filled with anticipation and excitement. We left from the church parking lot at 3am on the dot, and immediately I took a wrong turn in Maryville and started up Maryvue Dr. Sleep deprivation had long ago set in, and I'm thinking super, we are lost before we even left! My daughter looked at me like I was crazy, and I promised to get her to Grenada safely!

We left a few minutes late, but arrived in Miami pretty much on time. I'm not going to lie, that 6 hour layover was so long. I think it was because of so much anticipation, and then we had to just sit there and wait.

We spotted some shirts that matched ours and did some introductions since we will spend the week together. Then I was introduced to a member of Grenada's parliament and he was so excited that his country is hosting us. He told us Grenada is as close to Heaven as we will ever get here on earth.

Now we've spent an hour filling out the Grenada immigration and customs form, and naturally I had to start over due to a mistake. I never do anything the easy way. Candace and Alexis flew in from NY through Atlanta and arrived in Grenada before we ever left Miami. They said it is amazing, and I can hardly wait.

I'm so excited to see the culture and visit with the people. Diversity is so beautiful, and I pray everyone will embrace our differences, celebrate each other and enjoy learning about different cultures.

Update: We arrived to great hospitality, along with several glitches, the biggest being internet service. It made it hard for us to contact home to say we were safe and check in with parents and kids. We started out with 13 rooms, then found out yesterday that we would have 11, then found out when we arrived that we only had 9 rooms.  But the great news is that the rooms are huge. This made it easy to bunk together, albeit stressful figuring it all out.

It was dark when we arrived. I knew we were close to the beach and just as I asked how close, I could hear the waves crashing. So looking forward to seeing for myself tomorrow.

I am running on about 3 sketchy hours of dozing sleep in the last 40 hours, so I'm done for tonight and going to crash.

Getting up early to celebrate Mass at the Cathedral Bascilica of the Immaculate Conception right here in St. George's. We are so very blessed.

Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment